Friday, July 15, 2011

The Dirty Ice Cream

“My classmates don’t know about it,”

Instead of studying or playing during weekends, Oliver pushes the two-wheeled ice cream cart along UP Diliman campus to make a living.

He pushes it several kilometers from barangay Balara to Diliman campus and then roams around it.

This 15 year old sophomore from Culiat High School sells ice cream from eight in the morning until six in the evening.

“I earn 250 pesos each day,” (Saturday and Sunday) he said.

His father is also a sorbetero (ice cream vendor) while his mother's a housewife. Both are from the country side, they migrated to Metro Manila hoping to improve their lives. He also has 3 siblings.

It is admirable to see a kid working hard for himself and for his family. While other students just drink out and party over the weekend, this boy perseveres for his allowance.

“I also like eating it (the ice cream that he sells), it’s clean and free,” he said with a little smile.

His situation also reflects a problem in the society; a boy like him should be studying or playing but not working.

I suddenly thought of myself and how much I earn every weekend. We’re totally different in terms of how and how much we earn but our reasons for working while studying have some similarities.

“I like what I’m doing,” He said.



No comments:

Post a Comment